Thursday, June 9, 2011

Living Out Loud!

Our church’s vacation Bible school is over the top. It truly is a week that is exhausting and exhilarating, spirit moving and challenging. It is so awe inspiring to see these kids having so much fun learning about God and their faith through laughter, games, singing and true all out worship. The week before is spent decorating and putting final touches on all the (what seems like millions of ) details that comes with hosting such a big event. Our church has been blessed this year to host over 140 kids and over 70 volunteers. So as you can imagine, it can be a fine dance that really is all about organized chaos.

This morning, even more than other mornings, I felt the need to sit, have my coffee and read my devotional and pray before the rest of “my world” woke up and the day was already spinning out of control. While I was reading my devotional, I heard a message in my head, it’s the same message I have been hearing now for about a week, “Live Out Loud!” I hadn’t put much thought into it the first and second time I heard it but for some reason this morning it seemed louder and more earnest so I started to ponder this thought.

The Bible is clear that we are to not remain silent about our faith and to “always be prepared to give an answer to anyone who asks about the reason for our hope” (1 Peter 3:15) and even if we do not do our part we are told that the “rocks will cry out” (Luke 19:40). So where do we stand? Where do I stand? Am I ready to give an answer at any moment for the reason for my hope? Or am I allowing the rocks to speak for me?

Next week is all about living our life out loud…the music is loud…the games are loud…the laughter is loud…the excitement is loud. I have a feeling though that this “living out loud” message in my head is not necessarily about the volume as much as it is about living out my faith in a way that is not bashful or weak but rather bold and shared with others. I know that there will be children present that will be hearing about our amazing God for the first time; therefore, we have a responsibility, or more appropriately stated, an honor to share our faith and to live it out loud!

Something tells me though, that living out loud is not just reserved for the week of VBS but in fact it will come in the quiet one on one moment with other volunteers as we finish hanging decorations today or organizing paperwork. It will come in greeting a child with a warm smile or it may come in the quiet moments praying before our week even begins. It will come when we greet the man exiting the store while we hold the door for him or maybe it comes from the mom who looks over at you while a tantrum ensues from her youngest and instead of giving the judgmental look, she receives a warm smile and the recognition that she’s not alone and this too shall pass. It’s not just my words that can live out loud, but it’s my actions as well.

“My world” is now awake and already fighting over a toy first thing this morning so before I put on my referee hat, I want to leave us with this last thought:
 Are we living out loud or are we allowing the rocks to do our job?

Kelly
xoxoxox








1 comment:

  1. Yep, we're definitely living LOUD at VBS. Kids consider in the most fun week of the year...atleast mine do! Thanks for reminding me.....we should always live out loud!

    ReplyDelete