Tuesday, December 3, 2013

Days 10-14: Coming Clean


Most times around my house there is a buzz in the air. It is rare to have a quiet moment without someone talking, singing, or the most frequently heard sound in recent weeks….the sound of fighting and yelling between my 2 oldest. Chances are pretty high that if it all goes quiet, something is wrong or someone is up to no good. Same can be said for my blog. It has been too quiet these last few days with no posting. It must mean I have been up to no good.

To say I have been nursing a holiday hangover, would be putting it mildly.  You know the drill, too much food, wine, and late night fun with family. Like most things in life, I take one step forward and 10 steps back. I managed to run the Thanksgiving Day race and it was GREAT! I don’t even remember the last time I ran 4 miles and it was a feeling like none other!


I rode that high all the way to the Thanksgiving table, which spilled right into the dessert table where I had my way with anything that wasn’t nailed down.

Somehow Thursdays race turned into Friday shopping which lead to Christmas decorating on Saturday, which lead to….um, I can’t even remember the rest of the excuses. I still stand firm on the idea that it takes 14 days to create a new habit, I wonder if that still applies when you skip days 10-14?
 
Regardless, I decided to give myself a little grace and move forward, tie on my shoes, and start again. I told myself I would not be my own obstacle, not today! I started on the treadmill and within a ½ mile I increased my speed and low and behold the small tear I noticed in the belt earlier, gave way to a much bigger tear and a loud deafening sound as it lifted, folded in half, and then broke through the frame of the treadmill. You might be surprised how fast you can jump off a treadmill when you have to. I’m happy to report that no injuries happened in the process; however, the same cannot be said for the poor treadmill. Another obstacle.
 
I decided to hit the pavement. Only 2 miles, but still 2 miles. Lord knows there were plenty excuses between here and there to not go for a run today, but I knew it was more than the run for me. It was knowing that I wasn’t going to be the one to set myself up for failure. I was not going to be the one who stood in my way or told myself I couldn’t do it. I wasn’t going to be my worst enemy or obstacle, because for me, it’s more than the run, its more than a race, it’s more than the smaller pants size. It’s freedom from that which tries to hold me back and keep me prisoner from all that God wants for my life. Giving it a voice, means it can no longer hold power over us…
 

“It is for freedom that Christ has set us free.
Stand firm, then, and do not let yourselves be burdened
again by a yoke of slavery.”
Galatians 5:1

 
Kelly
xoxo

 

No comments:

Post a Comment