Wednesday, November 20, 2013

Day 2: Coming Clean

Seriously, how sweet are those little pink shoes?


I was once told that it takes 14 days to turn something into a habit. So here we are…again. I tried multiple times to get out today; however, there was always “something” that kept coming up. It wasn’t until 4pm when I was sitting in the chair with a headache, nursing Berkley and dosing in and out of sleep that I knew it was going to be now or never.


Probably not the best scenario, but we all pulled on our shoes for the run….or bike ride in the big kid’s case. After rallying the troops and giving them the appropriate “pep talk” (i.e. smiling through gritted teeth explaining that we stop for no reason and everyone stays together), we gathered around for the pre-run picture.   I had lots of different directions I was going to go today, but once plans changed and it turned into a “group effort”, I knew oxygen mask was the best word for today.


We all know the very familiar instructions:

"Should the cabin loose pressure, oxygen masks will drop from the overhead area. Please place the mask over your own mouth and nose before assisting others.”


It was a fun God moment in our driveway explaining the sign to the kids and why I had to put on my oxygen mask first. I thought yesterday’s post was accountability for me, but wow….I was not prepared for today’s accountability with my children.


Have we lost pressure? Most definitely! I thought it would be interesting to look up symptoms that occur from loss of cabin pressure. Call me crazy, but I am pretty sure that they are the very same feelings every mom feels around 4pm every afternoon.


fatigue, sluggish thinking, loss of consciousness,
dimmed vision, forgetfulness and ultimately death.


I am hoping to combat those symptoms with my own oxygen mask. My children deserve better and I am tired of being tired and watching them from the sidelines. I want to be the mom that participates, that plays, and that takes time to soak up more of the moments.


Doesn’t mean I’ll get it right every time, but I know it’s at least a start with being more intentional about putting my oxygen mask on first.


 Kelly
xoxo

 

 

 

No comments:

Post a Comment