Tuesday, August 9, 2011

In Need of a Launching Pad!

We are in final countdown mode for the new school year. Blane goes back in 1 week, Parker goes back in 2 weeks and Cooper in 3 weeks…so what happens the 4th week? If you ask Cooper, he’ll tell you that’s when Mommy goes back to school. Ironically, I do find some truth in his statement. Once everyone returns to school, the ball starts rolling and continues to gain speed until next thing you know, we all stop momentarily to enjoy the warm sounds and feelings of Christmas morning. Christmas? Really? Did I just go there? You better believe it. You and I both know that it will all be here before we know it.


So before the chaos ensues, my goal this year (although I say it every year) is to be proactive to our lives and schedules rather than reactive. Although, I am guilty of this time and time again, I am a believer that our calendars and wallets should not control us and tell us what to do but rather we control them.


It’s as if I can hear the ticking of the clock get louder and louder while I am in a desperate search for the perfect “life organizer”. Granted, for my life this would probably include an actual person that would follow me around but instead, I will settle for a clever way to organize our lives this school year. I have spent countless hours on the Internet in search of the perfect (yes, there’s that crazy unattainable word I continue to throw out) calendar, chore chart, and “launching pad” for the new school year and all of our activities.
 

Launching pad? Yes! If NASA uses a launching pad to launch rockets and shuttles into orbit then I think it’s a perfect description for launching our children and lives out into the world this school year. Now our house is smaller so we need to be space smart about how to go about this “launching pad”. I know most of you are getting excited with the idea that I might actually have some grand idea to share for organizing our lives….not so much, at least not yet. I can feel that it’s getting closer (remember the loud ticking of the clock?) but I have not finalized anything official. Have no fear though; I will share with you as soon as I figure it out. If any of you super savvy ones out there have any organizing ideas, please share them. I think I can speak for everyone when I say we would love to glean from them!
 

So what have my kids been doing while I spend all this time searching and playing on the computer? Hmmm, hate to admit it but I suppose I’m amongst friends. Here goes….TV….lots and lots of it. Ouch, kind of hurts to even admit it out loud.  I have noticed quickly the adverse effects it has on our entire household. We have become a cranky self centered bunch.


After requesting their help with some light yard work this weekend, we realized that the complaining was almost too much to bear. We found ourselves repeating the frequently used parenting lines like, “do you know how good you have it?”.


So now what? Blane and I have decided this week, during our last official week together, that it was time to do something about this. Our hopeful solution? A daily service project.
 

Wait, before we toot our own horn. Monday we failed miserably and didn’t do anything and Tuesday would have probably skated on by if it wasn’t for the kids insisting to go even in the pouring rain. Although there was some belly aching on occasion, the experience was great. We went to our church’s food pantry and stocked the shelves. It was really neat to see them get so excited for doing something for others rather themselves. Of course, I am leaving out the details of trying to explain to them time and time again why they couldn’t eat the food or take any of it home with them.
 

What’s on the agenda for tomorrow? Good question. That will be tonight’s dinner discussion. We’ll check in later with our service status and launching pad because as I right now, I just realized that my meatloaf timer went off but the meatloaf never went into the oven.


Off to go punt with plan B before cheerleading practice. Feeling an even bigger need right now for that launching pad. Have a dry and wonderful night!
 

xoxoxo


They were so proud of their job once it was done!

No comments:

Post a Comment